Sunday, March 7, 2010

Water engineers have more fun


I know that all of you faithful readers have been lying in bed wondering, where does Kijabe Hospital get their water? I know! They use three springs and one borehole. (All four of my kids are seriously rolling their eyes at me upon reading this.)

There is some truth to this blog title. I've looked at some spectacular water sources, way up in the hills and mountains, far above human activities, because naturally it's desirable to collect the cleanest possible water. One of the Kijabe Hospital springs is located high in the hills in the background above the man on the left. We weren't at the hospital long enough to hike to this source. It's about a 5-hour round trip. We did get to visit another spring, Monkey Corner Spring. True to its name, we saw monkeys in the trees above.

The hospital staff is concerned that inadequate water will limit their expansion plans. I'll be helping them assess that concern. In the meantime, one of my recommendations was for them to add chlorination to the hospital water system. The springs are not 100% protected from contamination and the many storage tanks may also allow contamination from time to time. These concerns were borne out by recent failures in bacteriological tests. A hospital setting certainly warrants safe drinking water.

No comments:

Post a Comment