Thursday, December 10, 2009

Suit shopping


Suit sellers at Oweno Market


Street scene outside of Oweno Market

Scott needs a suit for a big banquet RVA has in February. We've gone shopping twice now for one at Oweno Market, the big downtown bazaar. Scott and I estimate there are between 4000-5000 stalls there, with tiny pathways between them. The first time we went we didn't do too well, but yesterday a friend connected us with Fred, a Ugandan man with a women's clothing stall there. Fred met us outside the market and took us to his stall, where he hinted it would be a good idea for me to purchase something to get things rolling. That was ok with me, since I'd been wanting new shirts and intended to pay him for his help anyway. Then he took off and came back about 10 minutes later with two suits, the first of which fit Scott perfectly. So we got a Marks and Spencer suit for $45 U.S. dollars, and 3 shirts for me for $15. Not a bad deal. On the way out we picked Scott up a shirt and snappy tie for $6.

On our way out of town I inadvertently caused an accident. We were in a matatu in stop-and-go traffic when the driver of the matatu next to us called out to me, "Yes, mzungu." This is one of the typical ways people greet you. I was just starting to look over when I heard a crunching, scraping noise. The friendly driver and a third matatu had gotten into a fender bender. Keep your eyes on the road, friendly driver!

Unfortunately, when we changed matatus for the last leg of the drive home, we got in The Bad One. Several people on board, including the conductor and probably the driver, worked together to steal our money. They were slick. The conductor had me sit in the front seat, which is unusual but not unheard of, and had Scott go in the back. Another "passenger" moved next to Scott and engaged him in conversation while a third took his money. The conductor pretended he couldn't get my door shut tight and had me keep helping him try to slam it. Meanwhile, the man next to me was taking my money, even though I had it double zipped in my purse. Like I said, these guys were good. Looking back on it, it seems clear what was happening, but at the time none of it was obvious.

Despite having money taken three times in three months, I don't feel unsafe here. People steal, but violent crime against whites is rare. I hope we'll become savvier without becoming suspicious of everyone.

Less than a week until Amy and Carl come, and just over a week until Tracy comes!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bergs: We've enjoyed reading about your adventures. How utterly amazing you can be there in Uganda and regale us with your wonderful stories--practically in real-time. The only place I've been pickpocketed is in Rome, so I guess it can happen anywhere. Blessings, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen & Paul (and Scott too!)- I love catching up on your adventures. Thank you for writing about all your adventures- I love reading the entries to your blog. Keep up the great work! And Karen and Scott- sorry to hear about having your money stolen.
    Deb Mellinger

    ReplyDelete